IGTC Funding Rules
Rules for Students accepting IGTC Fellowships
- The base level of fellowship funding is $10,000 per annum plus travel costs to attend IGTC events. Supervisors and home departments are required to provide a competitive package of additional funding for IGTC students that may include teaching assistantships, research assistantships and/or other support.
- The fellowship does not pay for tuition or fees. The student is responsible for paying these.
- Major awards are defined as those awards with a total value of $7,000 per annum or more. If the student is offered a major award other than the IGTC fellowship, then he/she must accept it, so as to start the award on the earliest possible date. During the time in which the student is receiving a major award, the IGTC fellowship will be funded at reduced level that ensures the annual value of the IGTC award plus all other major awards equals $27,000 per annum. At any time during which all other major awards have a value exceeding $27,000 per annum, the IGTC fellowship will become honourary, with no annual value except for travel costs to attend IGTC events.
- Income derived from minor awards (those with a total value of less than $7,000 per annum) can be used to supplement the IGTC fellowship.
- Students with the fellowships worth $10,000 per year are permitted to TA up to 1/2 of the normal graduate student level.
- Students with the fellowships worth $20,000 per year are permitted to TA up to 1/4 of the normal graduate student level.
- The income derived from TA-ship can be used to supplement the fellowship. However, students should ensure that most of their time is devoted to their graduate degree program and research. The supervisors should ensure that their student’s graduate degree programs do not suffer as a result of additional duties.
- In certain hardship cases, students are eligible to apply to the IGTC for additional funding. Requirements for the additional funding are (i) the student must TA 1/4 time, assuming such a TA is available (ii) the total annual value of the all the student’s sources of income and awards (including the IGTC award, major or minor awards and the 1/4 TA, if available) is less than $10,000 plus their annual cost of tuition and fees. The application can be made to the IGTC Coordinator stating the details. Decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis.
- The student must complete an acceptance form for the IGTC fellowship. Students must make the IGTC Coordinator aware of any changes in their level of funding or scholarship from other sources during their IGTC fellowship.
- During tenure of the IGTC fellowship, students are normally expected not to accept employment other than the 1/4 TA. However, in unusual circumstances, students can apply to the IGTC Coordinator to substitute other employment for the 1/4 TA, providing the total number of employment hours remains similar.
- The fellowship offer is for one year, but renewable up to one additional year. To be eligible for renewal of the IGTC fellowship, an average GPA (taken over the current degree program) of 3.5-4.0 should be maintained, the student must remain in good academic standing in their home department, and all the program requirements must be met. The student will need to apply to the IGTC Student Evaluation Committee to renew the fellowship.
Rules for Students accepting IGTC Enrollment
- The IGTC enrollment includes funding to travel to IGTC events.
- The enrollment offer is for one year, but renewable up to one additional year. To be eligible for renewal of the IGTC enrollment, an average GPA (taken over the current degree program) of 3.5-4.0 should be maintained and all the program requirements must be met. The student will need to apply to the IGTC Student Evaluation Committee to renew the award.