IMA-MPRIME-PIMS Mathematical Modeling in Industry Workshop for Graduate Students
- Start Date: 06/18/2012
- End Date: 06/27/2012
Projects and Industry Mentors
There will be 7 teams participating in the workshop.
1) Dr. Izhak Baharav (Corning Inc)
2) Dr. Efrossini Tsouchnika (Siemens AG)
3) Dr. Jon Downton (Hampson-Russell Software & Services, A CGGVeritas Company)
4) Dr. Anthony Kearsley (National Institute of Standards and Technology)
5) Dr. Laura Lurati (Boeing)
6) Dr. Steve Jiang (Center for Advanced Radiotherapy Technologies, University of California- San Diego)
7) Dr. Hu Zhang (Royal Bank of Canada)
University of Calgary
1) Touch Sensing, Silhouettes, and "Polygons-of-Uncertainty"
2) Validation of Service Concepts for Oil Drilling by Simulation
3) Azimuthal Elastic Inversion for Fracture Characterization
4) Identifying Sugars
5) Multi-Objective Design of a Fuel Tank
6) Interactive Treatment Planning in Cancer Radiotherapy
7) Valuation of Over-the-Counter Derivatives with Collateralization
For abstracts and talk materials please see the IMA Project Abstracts.
The IMA, in collaboration with Mprime and PIMS, is holding a 10-day workshop on
Mathematical Modeling in Industry in Calgary, Canada. The workshop is
designed to provide graduate students and qualified advanced
undergraduates with first hand experience in industrial research.
Students will work in teams of up to 6 under the guidance of a mentor
from industry. The mentor will help guide the students in the modeling
process, analysis and computational work associated with a real-world
industrial problem. A progress report from each team will be scheduled
during the period. In addition, each team will be expected to make an
oral final presentation and submit a written report at the end of the
How to Apply
To be announced.
Senior Advisory Committee
Alejandro Adem (Director, PIMS)
George M. Homsy (Deputy Director, PIMS)
Fadil Santosa (Director, IMA, University of Minnesota)
Local Organizing Committee
Kristine Bauer (University of Calgary)
Clifton CUnningham (University of Calgary)
Cristian Rios (University of Calgary)
Yuriy Zinchenko (University of Calgary
Please help PIMS to improve the quality of its events and plan for the future by filling out htis quick and painless survey.
Students will be selected through a competitive process. Application deadline is March 25, 2012. To apply, please use the application form.